Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I did what I had to do, but I'm not happy about it.

Well, I did it.  I didn't back out like I feared I would.  I packed up the cat and I took her back to the shelter where I got her.  I can't believe it.  It's something I never in a million years thought I would do.  I would love to adopt more animals not get rid of them.  But what could I do?  It turns out that it's been almost 5 years since I adopted her.  I dealt with the issues for almost five years and now I just gave up.  I feel horrible.  My brain knows that I dealt with the urinating longer than most people would and that I tried SO much.  But my heart says there had to be something I could have done.  I'm afraid that they will really give up on her and she will be euthenized.  I try not to think about it.  They said that there is hope still.  They are going to do what they can to find her a home where she won't do it.  Maybe in a home without kids.  They are taking her to a different vet to see what he says and if there is something my vet missed.  I thought I would feel some relief that's it's over but right now I feel too terrible to care about the 1,000 pee spots I've cleaned up over the years.  I hope that changes.  And I hope my 6 year old understands once I get the nerve to tell her. 

dixie goes back

Poor thing knew something was up.

dixie goes back ash sad

And so did my poor son.  He didn't like that she was in the bag.  He knew she didn't like it.  It broke my heart.  When they took her out of the room he said "Our MEOW!"  It nearly broke me!  I nearly took her and her pee and got back in the car.

4 people left love:

Anonymous said...

I know that was really hard. I had to give up Toni, my cat from kitten to 7 years old. He was great. But he reacted really badly to the baby. It made me very sad. But I had to give him up. Now he is in a good home with an older couple whose kids have moved away. Still, I feel like I gave away a piece of me. Very sad.

Julie Southern (Studio Sherwood) said...

Poor Dani. I'm so sorry it worked out the way it did, but at a certain point you have to do what you have to do. It'll get better. And maybe they're right, maybe it was something to do with the kids - cats are peculiar creatures and don't always handle competition for attention.

Try to think about how nice it will be to be out from under the cloud. Hugs.

Cheryl said...

OH no...those photos make it so much harder to read....how sad. It must have been such a hard thing to do. I did it once in college because of the landlord, but to try for 5 years and have to give up...you love the pet too much by now.

Oh...I'm so sorry!

tracy said...

Dani, this post made me cry. :( I know how it is to give up someone you cared about. especially pets that became so close to your heart you consider them as your family. You did what you think is right for her.

dani stay strong...