Monday, February 25, 2008

Where is my Mojo?

It's gone. The desire to scrap and take pictures is strong. But I just can't seem to do anything. I started 3 different layouts yesterday only to delete them. I wonder if my problem is that I promised myself I would go back and scrap the stuff from when my daughter was a baby and work my way forward. Back then I thought my camera was wonderful, I was so happy to have a digital camera. It was a Toshiba PDR-M25, 2.2 megapixels, 3X's optical zoom. I thought it was fabulous. Boy was I wrong! The pictures are terrible looking back on them. So much noise, so few are correctly exposed. It takes so much PSP work just to make them somewhat OK. It's frustrating. Check out this picture...what should have been a great family moment is a dark grainy mess.Technically this next one is a different pic but it had the same problems. The original was so bad (as you see) it wasn't worth keeping. I had to play around with it and the best I could do was this...
When you have to play around with every picture it gets old fast. Can you believe they still sell that camera for $150 - $200!!! I guess (which I did not realize at the time) this camera is designed to support optional lenses and filters similar to a SLR. But if the camera itself takes crappy pictures who cares if it can use a wide angled lens. You'll end up with a wide angled crappy picture *L* Why pay $200 for this when there are SO many other great cameras on the market? I had 2 Kodak Easy Shares and both were far better than this. The biggest problems with them are usually exposure but there are ways around it (which of course I learned AFTER using my DSLR and gaining more knowledge of photography). It is amazing what you can correct with White Balance. And that "way too bright" flash on the newer P&S cameras...put a coffee filter over it! May not look as pretty but your pictures will be so much better.

I'm rambling, sorry. Let's recap...if anyone knows where my Mojo is, can you please send it home? And please don't buy a 7 year old model camera...it makes no sense..technology has come SO far in those years! Oh yeah, and I have gotten spoiled with all these "great right from the camera" pics I take with my Nikon D40.

1 people left love:

Julie Southern (Studio Sherwood) said...

Coffee filter, eh? Like, just cut out a little piece and tape it over the flash? I know I need to learn more about white balance and all the real picture taking stuff, but there always seems to be so much stuff to work on and learn and that one keeps slithering down the list... someday.

I recently gave my first digicam to my mother. It was very good in its day, a fuji finepix 1400, but only 1.4 MP (which truly is all she will ever need). Plus it seems enormous compared to my latest powershot. I don't think I'll ever have a DSLR, but that's ok, it would be a waste on me anyway ;-)